Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp welcomed defender Nathaniel Clyne back to full training this week but ruled out the chance of seeing his full-back in action against FC Porto on Wednesday despite the England international making the 25-man squad for the trip to Portugal.
“Clyney is back,” Klopp told Liverpool’s website. “Of course, it is absolutely too early to think about him, but he is back in normal training, so that’s cool.
“He’s been training for two days but after that long of a break, it will take time until he is able to play.”
Clyne has been sidelined for the better part of the last six months while dealing with a back injury that required surgery in November. As a result, the 26-year-old hasn’t featured at all for Liverpool this season, with Klopp instead turning to Joe Gomez and Trent Alexander-Arnold at right-back.
However, Gomez has been out of commission since January due to a knee problem, and Klopp said he won’t be rushed back into playing, either.
“I don’t know yet if (Gomez will) be available on Wednesday, but I think he has a chance,” the manager told the club’s website.
“All he’s done so far has looked good, but it’s all been about waiting for the reaction. I saw him this morning, he looked good as well.
“We have a session tonight and tomorrow morning, so it depends on how he looks in training and then I will start thinking about it. I don’t want to make pressure or rush him; it would be cool if he is available but we will see.”
In addition, Klopp confirmed that Ragnar Klavan is available for selection, as he’s recovered from a minor thigh strain.